Bees are really, REALLY important to us humans. Bees pollinate 80% of the world’s plants including 90 different crops eaten by humans. Approximately one out of every four bites of food you eat is thanks to bees. Honey bees are the only insect that produces food eaten by people.
Wasps and hornets are also pollinators. Although they lack the fuzzy hairs that bees have, pollen sticks to them less and they pollinate less successfully than bees. They do love eating nectar from flowers like bees and still help pollinate.
Bees have proboscises, which are the mouth parts like a butterfly; just a straw that sucks nectar up. Wasps/hornets on the other hand, being predators, have mandibles or chomping mouth parts that they use to bite and tear food up.
Bees, wasps, and hornets can present a serious pest problem too. Having bugs in your house is bad, but having bugs in your house that can cause serious pain via stings is REALLY bad. It could be fatal to the right people.
- Paper Wasps, please call for a quote
- Bumble Bees, please call for a quote
- Yellow Jackets, please call for a quote
- Carpenter Bees, please call for a quote
- Bald Faced Hornets, please call for a quote
- European Wasps, please call for a quote
- Honey Bees, please call for a quote